Re: [APD] Water Changes and Crypt Rot

I no longer have that tank, but it was at about 80 degrees F, I didn't shut down the filter while changing water, had the lights moved away from the top, and didn't heat the new water - it was at around 60 degrees F as it arrived, but I filled very slowly, like 15 minutes for 15 gallons. I don't know what type of crypts they were since I got them at Petsmart and the salesman didn't know either.

Your answer is very reassuring though. It had just occurred to me that if sudden water chemistry changes were the cause of the melting, then surely a 50% change would do it. In the past year since I sold my tank I have done a lot more reading up, mostly here, and I know a great deal more about what to do and what not to do, so if big water changes are not a problem I will probably include crypts in the menu for my new 29 gallon tank.