Re: [APD] Re: Killing Weeds

Bill D wrote:
"I live way way north of you. Here's some plants I've seen in the river out
back:

Elodea.
Ludwigia (I think)
Riccia.
Sag (or val)
(more than I forget offhand)"

Elodea, Ludwigia, and Sag include cold water species that are native to
North America.  I doubt that they would  appear on any invasive plant list,
but if they ever did it would further illustrate my point.

I don't know about the Riccia.  But if it is really that plant,
it is most unlikely that it could survive in a cold, dark northern winter,
let alone grow to nuisance proportions.

Here it is listed in an "Aquatic Plant Identification Manual for Washington's Freshwater Plants"

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/plants/plantid2/species_index.html

It does not seem to be a tropical plant at all, and one would assume that if it can live in Washington...

Also I think I remember reading somewhere that Amano had found the plant here in the USA. In fact, it appears to be common to the whole continient as well as other continents according to other sites on the net.

Of course I only got into this hobby a year ago so I may be misunderstanding.

-derek parr