[APD] Re: Killing weeds

""Do not release any water, plants or animals from an aquarium into a
street, storm drains, streams, bay, lagoon, or the ocean. Only dump aquarium
water into a sink or toilet(wastewater goes to septic or a water treatment
plant with chlorine). If you have large plant fragments, dry them out or
freeze them for 24 hours, and then bag them for trash removal. Caulerpa can
be removed from tanks, with all material it's attached to (rocks, gravel,
etc.), placed in a freezer for 24 hours, and then placed in the trash for
disposal in a landfill.

"I typically dry the weeds out, and then dispose of them. Burial is good if
12-18" deep or composted.
Tossing wet plant material into the gargbage and it ends up in some landfill
alive and fragments end up in pools from a recent rain and all the birds
transfer the weeds from the landfills to nearby ponds.  We've recently
treated several ponds next to landfills for Hydrilla.  The pond has a fence
around it etc, all it tales is small fragment."

Witi all due respect, this is a bureaucratic, one-size-fits-all response
that attempts to address a serious problem thatt might  end up turning off
some people who otherwise would be ardent supporters.

In Florida or other warm climates it is good advice.  In places like SE PA,
USA,  it does not cause a problem if I toss three gallons of aquarium water
onto my lawn.   I suspect that the unneeded hygrophila in my compost pile
won't cause an ecological disaster.  In fact, I doubt that hygrophila would
last a season here in the wild, let alone grow to nuisance proportions.  Yet
it can't be sold here.

The bureaucrat might say, "Is it right that you folks in PA can grow
hygrophila when the people in CA can't?  We must be consistent and treat
everybody the same."

Well, some might differ about that.

Retain a sense of proportion, OK?

Bill