[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 19, Issue 1

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:37:10 -0800
From: Vaughn Hopkins <hoppy1 at surewest_net>
Subject: [APD] DIY CO2 System
To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com

I have been researching yeast/sugar CO2 systems, and I noted one person
recommended a liquid/solids trap be placed in the CO2 outlet line.
This would be a chamber with an inlet tube and an outlet tube, with
nothing but gas in the chamber.  The idea was that liquids and yeast
solids would be separated from the gas so as not to get into the
aquarium.  My thought is that a fairly large bubble counter would do
the same job, and also remove a big percentage of the alcohol fumes
too.  Of course the bubble counter water would need replacing
periodically.  Does anyone know if this is an effective way of
"cleaning up" the CO2?  And, is it worth being concerned about?  When I
can afford the one time cost I will switch over to a pressurized CO2
system, but probably for a year I will stick to the DIY system.

No, use one gallon juice jugs, they don't tip over, and will last longer than 2 liter bottles.

2- 3 of them will work on a 55 gallon tank.

Bob