[APD] Re: Open Tanks and CF Lighting

I have this exact configuration - the AH Supply 1x55 kit over a 29 galo. The fixture is mounted to a shop made hood with a hinged lid. The light fixture is 2-3 inches above the surface of the water. I used to have 4x20 watt normal fluorescent in the same configuration. No problems so far. The manufacturer recommends that a cover glass be used. Opinions went 50/50 when I posed the cover glass question on several forums. My only concern would be light intensity loss at 11 inches above the surface.

WMC

On Feb 26, 2005, at 6:53 AM, aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com wrote:

Message: 10
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:22:19 EST
From: Linkindoc at aol_com
Subject: [APD] open top tanks and compact fluorescent lighting
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

Has anyone tried mounting compact fluorescent lights over an open tank? I
would like to attach a 55 watt fixture from AH Supply on the underside of a
shelve that is 11 inches above my 29 gallon tank. I would prefer not to have a
cover on this tank and am wondering if the fixture would be far enough above
the water for this to work.
Denise

WM Cwirla