RE: [APD] Microwaving water for water changes a bad thing?

I believe the EPA requirement is for monitoring of
particular items, including certain byproducts of chlorine
(trihalomethanes (THM or TTHM and haloacetic acids (HAA or
HAA5), bromate, and chlorite) and the regs limit the amount
of those byproducts. That in turn, is causing many water
suppliers to switch from using only chlorine to using
chloramines as a secondary desinfectant.

Chloramine itself is toxic but the toxity is supposedly
destroyed in humans by the digestive acid in the stomach
--its it's not toxic if you drink it. Fish are exposed
through the gills and are, therefore, subject to
chloramine's toxicity.

sh
--- Douglas Guynn <d_guynn at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Utility supervisor here in Odessa says EPA requires it.
> Take that for what
> it's worth.

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT