Re: [APD] Re: problem with tank/regulator seal

There are fiberous paper and nylon washers available. The
nylon ones compress permanently and should be replaced
whenever you open the fitting. However, in a pinch, you cna
get one to work more than once.

The firber washers don't compress as much and don't deform,
making it a little harder to get a good seal but easier to
reuse the washer.

The washers are cheap.

Scott H.
--- Dave & Robyn Wilson <aqua_green at bigpond.com> wrote:

> I run an aluminium CO2 cylinder to a welding regulator
> (Australian
> regulations / specifications) then to a fine metering
> valve.  There is a
> hard white plastic (teflon maybe) washer between the
> bottle valve and the
> regulator.    Each time I change a 22kg bottle I go over
> the whole system
> with soapy water spray.   Occasionally there is a leak.
> It does save you
> some money if you find leaks and fix them.   The soapy
> water spray makes the
> small leaks visible.  Try not to spray soapy water into
> the water of the
> aquarium.
>
> Cheers
> Dave
>

> On 22/2/2005 4:57, "Nicholas Plummer"
> <nickplummer at nc_rr.com> wrote:
>
> > following up to my own question.  I spoke to a guy at
> National Safety
> > Auditors, which apparently does saftey inspections of
> compressed gas tanks.
> > He told me that steel tanks like the one I got from the
> welding supplier
> > don't use washers or o-rings, and I should just use
> teflon tape, instead.
> > That seems to have given me a good seal.
> >
> > I think the problem (?!) is that tanks last so long on
> my 20 gallon tank,
> > that I tend to forget what I did the last time.
> >
> > Nick

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT