Re: [APD] Total Dissolved Solids vs General Hardness

Just keep in mind that the correct conversion factor
depends on the particular material or who made the TDS
meter. Some TDS meters might use 0.67 or 0.6, etc.

If your TDS are made up of magnesium and Calcium salts,
then you can do a straightforward calculation from TDS to
microS to GH and back again. Otherwise, it gets messier.
Wright Huntley posted a nice message about this last week.

It depends on which of the items you need to know about.
Which is why I like having a conductivity meter that reads
in micro siemens. I always prefer the raw data ;-)

sh

--- Michael Skidmore <mskidmore at alamedanet_net> wrote:

> To follow up on this topic, the mS to ppm conversion is
> really handy. I had
> a feeling it was doable but didn't know about the 0.64
> conversion factor.
> Thanks Scott. Many pH meters have dual display of
> conductivity or pH by
> pushing a display button. The Fisher Scientific and
> Corning meters do. So
> you can in some cases, get a lab quality pH meter and
> knock out two measures
> at once.
>
> This makes me wonder if there is a conversion factor from
> TDS to GH?
>
> Skids

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT