    Aluminum tape used for edging - $4 from local hardware store
  Total cost - $88 vs. about $75 with bulb and shipping from AH Supply

Now, balance that with the enjoyment I got from about 3 weeks of creative use of my hands and brain in my wood shop. And, in the future I can replace bulbs for less than the cost of the single CF bulb, use a mix of types of bulbs, and the light is spread out over the top of the tank and not concentrated in a 4" wide band.

On Saturday, February 19, 2005, at 12:34 PM, Rachel Sandage wrote:

It looks great! Can you break down the cost & compare it buying the
AH supply pre-made?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Vaughn Hopkins<mailto:hoppy1 at surewest_net>
  To: aquatic digest<mailto:Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
  Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 12:25 PM
  Subject: [APD] Pseudo AH Supply Reflector

I now have the light fixture completed. Below are three more pictures
of the final product, on my 29 gallon tank, on the stand I built, but
the stand still needs to be finished. I used Luan Door Skins, from
Home Depot for the outer surface of both the stand and canopy. The
canopy is made of 1/4" hardboard, with a layer of the Luan glued on,
and the stand is made of 2 X 3's with the Luan on the outer surfaces.
This is really cheap "mahogany", but it looks good either stained or
just clear coated, which I am doing.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/950168/DSCF0012-3.jpg<http:// img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/950168/DSCF0012-3.jpg>
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/950168/DSCF0012-2.jpg<http:// img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/950168/DSCF0012-2.jpg>
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/950168/DSCF0014-2.jpg<http:// img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/950168/DSCF0014-2.jpg>
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/950168/DSCF0015-1.jpg<http:// img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/950168/DSCF0015-1.jpg>

You can see from the pictures that I was only barely successful at
gluing the aluminized mylar to the reflector - lots of wrinkles. But,
I still get a pretty good reflection, which does increase the light
entering the tank, and spreads it out over most of the tank water
surface. I used cheap T8 bulbs, with a three light electronic ballast.
And, the cover glass, which is acrylic, is attached to the bottom of
the light fixture, so the tank is completely open with the light raised
up.
Now, I have to wait 6 months until we move to another house, before I
can continue to set up the planted aquarium. Fortunately, at my age,
time goes pretty fast.

Here is another progress photo of my pseudo-AH reflector setup. The
next step is to epoxy on the mylar solar blanket.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/950168/DSCF013.jpg<http:// img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/950168/DSCF013.jpg>