From: Shireen Gonzaga [mailto:whimbrel at comcast_net]
Sent: 13 February 2005 02:50
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Cc: Shireen Gonzaga
Subject: Re: [APD] RE: Acidity and nutrient uptake

 > various pH levels and hardness levels.  Basically, all plants prefer
high
 > levels of hardness, but a maximum pH of around 8 - I know she did
 > something with low pH as well, but since my water comes out of the
tap at
 > pH 8.6, that wasn't relevant for me.

This sounds interesting, tho' quite technical for the
chemistry-challenged among us, myself included. So let me dumb this
thread down a bit ...

My tapwater pH=7, gH=7, kH=2.5-3.
- If plants do better at a higher levels of hardness, how do you
   define hardness (gH and/or kH)?
- what are the optimum levels of gH and kH for plant growth?
- what kinds of additives do you recommend for people with soft
   tapwater for increasing hardness? I use baking soda to increase
   kH (enough to maintain pH=7 in a CO2-injected tank). Should
   I be dosing a additive to increase gH as well?

thanks,
   shireen