Re: [APD] AHSUPPLY's Reflectors

Comparing diff set ups onthe same tank and ata the ame
depth, the very good reflectors will make a noticeable
improvement over the mediocre materials. I'd move up to a
high quality relfector before adding bulbs and heat. But
there are many ways to light a tank well. ;-)

sh
--- Liz W <satirica at gmail_com> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:11:19 -0800, Vaughn Hopkins
> <hoppy1 at surewest_net> wrote:
> > I don't have one of AH's reflectors, but from their
> website it seems
> > that they consist of flat surfaces, not a parabolic
> surface.  So, there
> > is no exact focal point.  I am going to make a version
> of what it
> > appears to be, using wood and aluminum or stainless
> steel tape as the
> > reflective surface (J.C.Whitney has stainless steel
> tape), and use it
> > for a set of three parallel T8 bulbs.  I think I can
> increase the light
> > output from the two outer bulbs in the set by as much
> as 50% over what
> > a single white painted flat surface behind the bulbs
> would give.  This
> > will be a subjective experiment since I have no means
> of actually
> > measuring the light.  With any reflector  you can just
> look at the
> > light and if you see a nearly uniform, but wide area of
> light you are
> > successful to some degree.  (Plus, look at all the fun
> you get by doing
> > it this way!)
>
> IIRC, the beginning of this thread was someone asking a
> question as to
> whether installing these reflectors was a good way to
> raise light
> levels vs. investing in different bulbs, etc.  I have an
> AHS retrofit
> kit installed and like it quite a bit.
>
> Their reflectors appear to be flat surface approximations
> of a
> parabolic surface.  I have no doubt that measuring output
> with your
> eye, or at a particularly wavelength through a detector,
> will show
> increased light levels.  What I do doubt is that after
> the light
> travels through 1 or 2 reflective surfaces (the surface
> of water in a
> tank and a glass cover if one is in place) that the light
> intensity
> will be much greater at a 3" water depth than it would be
> with a
> cheap, rectangular reflector.  Better?  Probably.  Enough
> better to
> make a difference in plant growth?  Don't know but I'd
> lean towards
> not a whole lot.  As much difference in plant growth as
> installing
> better lights? I really doubt it.
>
> Liz

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT