Re: [APD] Re: ah supply reflectors

Flat white paint acutally works better than most
applications using aluminum. Important exceptions are the
highly polished and coated aluminum like the AHS reflectors
-- they can't be beat.

Sh
--- Wright Huntley <whuntley at verizon_net> wrote:

> Shiny aluminum looks great but stinks for reflecting
> fluorescent lights
> (except for the far blue and UV).
>
> The AH reflectors are shiny aluminum, but with a
> dielectric overcoating
> that raises reflectivity dramatically from the original
> 85% that is
> typical for pure aluminum. Roof flashing and other
> non-dead-soft alloys
> are probably a worse.
>
> The screwing you get with aluminum is probably worse than
> the simple 15%
> loss, as quite a bit of useful light may involve hitting
> the reflector
> more than once in most designs.
>
> Hey, it is better than white paint, but not really a lot.
> The aluminum
> tapes I have tried are quite a lot worse than plain
> polished Al, BTW.
>
> If you want to line a hood I suggest you find some of the
> silvered mylar
> materials that feature reflectivity well over 95%. 3M
> Silverlux was once
> discontinued, but I still see variations on it for sale
> around the web.
>
> Forget plain aluminum or aluminum tape, if you want
> efficiency. You can
> likely do better with potato-chip bags or cut-up CDs.
>
> Wright
>
> PS. If I was using twin-tube T-5 CFs, I would not
> hesitate to buy the AH
> reflectors. They are cheaper than anything I have tried
> that was
> comparable, and a pretty decent optical design. [Not
> ideal for
> single-tube T-8s tho.]
> --
> Wright Huntley - Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514 -
> whuntley at verizon_net
>                        760 872-3995
>
> ...frontier society offered 'the most civilized type of
> association'
> because it had 'the absolute minimum of external
> regulation' and
> therefore 'the maximum of voluntary civility and
> morality.'
>        ------ Isabel Paterson
>
>                 http://www.libertarianism.com/

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT