Re: [APD] Re: Re: ah supply reflectors

There is a lot of variability in the quality of the
matelized mylar films. Some are opaque and highly
reflective, some are more or less transparent and less
reflective. Also, some have a thin metal film on the
surface that eventually flakes, chips, rubs or otherwise
wears off -- this undesireable type usually leaves metallic
smudges on your fingertips when you handle it.  Look for
high opacity (hold a piece up to a bright light) and the
metal coating to be sealed in the mylar.

sh
--- Leah <leahn at iastate_edu> wrote:

> I've seen (and once had one) "emergency blankets" that
> are made of silver
> mylar, and come in a very manageable (small
> blanket-sized) size.  They can be
> found in camping/outdoors departments in stores (walmart
> probably has them, if
> not, any outdoors store) in little packages for about $2.
>  Not sure if they are
> as highly reflective as potato chip bags, but I think
> they are, and it would
> certainly be easier than saving potato chip bags.
> Leah

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT