Re: [APD] AHSUPPLY's Reflectors

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:11:19 -0800, Vaughn Hopkins <hoppy1 at surewest_net> wrote:
> I don't have one of AH's reflectors, but from their website it seems
> that they consist of flat surfaces, not a parabolic surface.  So, there
> is no exact focal point.  I am going to make a version of what it
> appears to be, using wood and aluminum or stainless steel tape as the
> reflective surface (J.C.Whitney has stainless steel tape), and use it
> for a set of three parallel T8 bulbs.  I think I can increase the light
> output from the two outer bulbs in the set by as much as 50% over what
> a single white painted flat surface behind the bulbs would give.  This
> will be a subjective experiment since I have no means of actually
> measuring the light.  With any reflector  you can just look at the
> light and if you see a nearly uniform, but wide area of light you are
> successful to some degree.  (Plus, look at all the fun you get by doing
> it this way!)

IIRC, the beginning of this thread was someone asking a question as to
whether installing these reflectors was a good way to raise light
levels vs. investing in different bulbs, etc.  I have an AHS retrofit
kit installed and like it quite a bit.

Their reflectors appear to be flat surface approximations of a
parabolic surface.  I have no doubt that measuring output with your
eye, or at a particularly wavelength through a detector, will show
increased light levels.  What I do doubt is that after the light
travels through 1 or 2 reflective surfaces (the surface of water in a
tank and a glass cover if one is in place) that the light intensity
will be much greater at a 3" water depth than it would be with a
cheap, rectangular reflector.  Better?  Probably.  Enough better to
make a difference in plant growth?  Don't know but I'd lean towards
not a whole lot.  As much difference in plant growth as installing
better lights? I really doubt it.

Liz