problems yet, but I'm still trying to fill more of my tank with plants.

Bill

"Thomas Barr" <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
Sent by: aquatic-plants-bounces+bill_wallace=agfa.com at actwin.com
05/02/2005 12:28 PM
Please respond to tcbiii; Please respond to aquatic plants digest

        To:     aquatic-plants at actwin_com
        cc:     (bcc: Bill Wallace/AMOBE/CAN/AGFA/CA/BAYER)
        Subject:        [APD] RE: Acidity and nutrient uptake

> Message: 13
> Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:58:25 -0500
> From: "Ed Hengel" <ed-hengel at rcn_com>
> Subject: [APD] Acidity and nutrient uptake
> To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
>
> Does anyone have any information about Acidity and nutrient uptake.
> Specifically, does very low ph < 4.5 ( co2 ~ 25ppm, KH ~1) have an
effect
on
> plant/algae metabolism?
>
> Ed Hengel
> Carmel, NY

I do not think there is anything specific on pH 4.5 and CO2 at 25ppm.
CO2 obviously changes the uptake characters. Trace metals can become more
toxic to fish.

Plants/algae have the ability to modify and change their internal
environment to maintain homeostasis, so they can adapt to a wide range of
environmental conditions.
Diatoms are often present in lower pH waters in nature and some BGA's.
You'll still get nasty algae in high or low pH waters. If plants can grow,
you can bet so can algae.
Generally plants and algae prefer higher pH's, harder waters. They have
more nutrients and carbon.
I think you'll need to ask what in particular about Plant/lagae metabolism
will be influenced by the low pH and the high CO2 (which are certainly
related).
Why the low pH and KH?

Regards,
Tom Barr

subscribe at BarrReport_com           Get connected: Brain hurting Florida
Plant Notes
www.BarrReport.com                    Feb's article now on line: Enzymes
and Submersed Aquatic Macrophytes