Re: [APD] Re: Leaky Eheim

petroleum jelly and WD-40 definately cause them to degrade. Any type
of Gun oil could be used without causing that problem. Learned this
from caring for paintball markers, they have many o-rings inside, some
attached to moving parts. Gun oil is Definately best.  There is
probably some kind of silicone lubricant you could use too although
I'm not certain of that.

Of course, I'd put none of those in my aquarium.

I would think cleaning the area and wetting the o-ring with a little
water from the aquarium would be enough to get them installed
correctly.