Re: [APD] Jiffy pots

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 06:56:37 -0500 (EST)
From: "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at aquaria_net>
Subject: Re: [APD] Jiffy pots

Jiffy 701's have fertilizer, 703's don't; there are other types as well. You don't want the 701's. Wrong fertilizer.

It makes no difference at all, as both contain so much lime they should never be used in aquaria without boiling and rinsing very well.

Dunk either 701s or 703s straight into a tank, as is, and your pH will go high enough that the slightest trace of ammonium (and there is plenty enough in the peat) will turn to lethal (in piscine terms) amounts of ammonia. The plants will enjoy the rotting fish carcasses. :-)

Boil pellets and forget the number.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley - Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514 - whuntley at verizon_net
                      760 872-3995

...[T]he purpose and power of government is rightfully limited to protecting our natural God-given rights. The idea that government doesn't grant rights is offensive to those who wish to control our lives.
-- Walter Williams

http://www.libertarianism.com/