Re: [APD] Re: ecosystem in aquarium

At 06:28 PM 1/18/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Ramon wrote: "...However, this is just an ideal view and very few aquarists
>suggest
>not using biological filtration at all."
>
>Count me as one of the "very few". A heavily planted, lightly stocked
>planted aquarium merely needs mechanical filtration.

It doesn't even need that, cf. Berlin tanks.

>10-15 years ago, most of my "biological filters" are in the closet. My main
>"filters" are purely for mechanical filtration and water circulation.

How can you have mechanical filtration without biological filtration?

>"However such a claim may be extended to the partial
>water changes in an aquarium. Hobbyists encounter the problem of maintaining
>water parameters at an optimum level suggested by the experts. I.e. General
>hardness 2- 5 dh and KH 3 - 5"
>
>Now, who told you that you HAVE to have those parameters? Plants generally
>don't care what the GH is and KH is mainly needed to ensure pH stability.

Add a zero and that's about my water. Plants are fine.

>"...Some
>people talk about 'aged' water. Do they mean water which has accumulated
>substances not used by plants and not absorbed by filtration?"
>
>I believe that the "aged water" myth has more to do with chlorine in most
>tap water. Allowing water containing chlorine to stand for 24 hours will let
>the chlorine off-gas, making it safe for fish. Note that this does NOT work
>if your water contains Chloramines (Chlorine + Ammonia). In that case, you
>must use a proper water conditioner to deal with the chloramines (such as
>Seachem Prime).

Not just that but tapwater, even if it has no chlorine is super saturated
with O2 and CO2. Fish get right uncomfy in this stuff (but plants love it).

--

  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://new.killi.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://images.aquaria.net