Re: [APD] New and Rare West African Killies

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:52:57 -0500 (EST)
From: "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at aquaria_net>
Subject: [APD] New and Rare West African Killies
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

Seriously off topic, but these kinds of oppertunities don't happen
often, and uh, Procatopus make great planted tank fish :-)

As do most other killifish!

If anybody is interested in these fish please contact
Tom Deans directly: Indndean at aol_com. Tom is a hobbysist,
not a commercial venture.

SJO Loe and SJO Port Harcourt are already on the list of fish to
bring over in ther first shipment. The stuff will be imported into
the US.

If you are sincerely interested in dealing with Lagos, I suggest you participate in one of their 419 scams as being truly more exciting.

My impression of recent imports from commercial sources in Lagos is that their export business is a sideline to their other unprincipled scams. I have recently seen *male* *Fp. avichang* in shipments of SJO and am certain there is no control of the much more similar-looking females in most W. African killifish. The result is variable, and often infertile, fish like the ARN recently being widely distributed, that look more like a THI cross. Even good, experienced breeders cannot seem to get them past about F4.

Distributing such fish does the hobby no favor, and all the species listed as coming in are readily available in the US or Europe from responsible collectors and hobbyists who put the hobby first. [Try the N&RSC of the AKA.] Can you tell female *similis* and *aberrans* apart? I'll guarantee you that the Lagos commercial exporters have never even tried, in the past. Forgive me if I doubt things have changed much.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley - Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514 - whuntley at verizon_net
                      760 872-3995

...[T]he purpose and power of government is rightfully limited to protecting our natural God-given rights. The idea that government doesn't grant rights is offensive to those who wish to control our lives.
-- Walter Williams

http://www.libertarianism.com/