Re: [APD] shutoff solenoid

My favorite bargain for the last few months has been the
$28 solenoid at Customaquatic.com.

At 25psi the solenoid should have no problem handling the
pressure.

Also, it doesn't matter whether the solenoid is before or
after the needle valve (although I fit mine right onto the
regulator and put the needle valve next). If the solenoid
is after the needle valve and the solenoid is in closed
mode, then it will have the same pressure on it as it would
if it is before the needle valve.

Possibly some minute grit got onto the solenoid valve seat
-- the tiniest thing will keep them from sealing. They
usually are not too hard to open up and inspect. Sometimes
a piece of the thread cutting from when fittings are
threaded into the solenoid can work their way down to the
valve seat.  Thread cuttings (in the pipe thread sense)
can';t always be jsut blown out of the way because they are
like long but very stiff threads (in the sewing sense) and
cabecme lodged or hooked over the base of the plunger.

Hope that's some help,
Scott H.

--- "Joseph J. Ferenchik" <snapshot0729 at netzero_net> wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I'd like to add a shutoff solenoid to my injection system
> to lengthen the time between cylinder refills. What is
> the consensus for the most reliable 120 volt solenoid to
> use. I tried an ASCO solenoid that was rated from 5-200
> psi, but valving the cylinder out proved that the
> solenoid wasn't holding the pressure. I tried it on both
> sides of the needle valve. Obviously the pressure after
> the needle, was much less than 5 psi but the secondary
> (regulated) side of the cylinder runs about 25 psi. I was
> hopeful that this would be enough head pressure to keep
> the solenoid shut but as stated it didn't appear to fit
> the bill. I'm running one of the home made reactors with
> a gravel vac chamber and a small Rio. With the solenoid
> unplugged, and the pump off I observed bubbles coming out
> of the co2 feed tube in the clear chamber. Proof that the
> solenoid wasn't holding. All fittings are tight and
> Teflon taped, so I think leakage via the threads is nil,
> although I didn't hit them with any soap. Any and all
> recommendations for a solenoid that will work is
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT