Re: [APD] Re: copepods

I have BBA on my snails. The rest of the tank is pretty free of it, but I guess the snails don't grow fast enough to outgrow the algae. It doesn't grow on the MTS, only one the small round snails whose ID I do not know.

Rachel
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chuck H<mailto:grendel at knology_net>
  To: APD<mailto:aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
  Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 1:15 PM
  Subject: [APD] Re: copepods

  > I'd say that 99.9% of the copepods we encounter are not going to be
  > parasitic.

  I'm inclined to agree.  Also, the stuff I've read indicates that the
  parasitic copepods are not free-living, so seeing any swimming about
  is probably unlikely.  Copepods can potentially act as disease
  vectors, but unless one has the habit of drinking water copiously
  from the tank or snacks on the fishes without cooking them, there's
  no danger there.

  As for Liz's critters, based on her description, I think she might
  have Diaptomus.

  Here's the URL for a site with some excellent photos of various
  freshwater micro-crusties that might help in identification:

  http://www.micrographia.com/specbiol/crustac/homeclad/clad0100.htm<http://www.micrographia.com/specbiol/crustac/homeclad/clad0100.htm>

  In the Cyclops section, check out the last photo.  How bad of an
  algae problem do you have to have to get it growing on cyclops, LOL?
  --
  Chuck Huffine
  Knoxville, Tennessee