[APD] Re: H3PO4 and Green spot algae

"I am forwarding this message just to adhere to Mr Mifsud's method using
concentrated phosphoric acids to remove green spot algae from anubias since
Mr. Mifsud personally carried out this method of removing green spot algae
successfully in my presence.  Any queries should only be raised whether this
method is applicable on all aquatic plant leaves. However, the diluted acid
in the aquarium did not affect at all the other plants in Mr. Mifsud's
aquarium, namely glossostigma, echinodorus and crypts amongst others. "

If Glossostigma is unaffected, then I would think most plants would not be harmed.

But more convincingly.............H3PO4 is used for "pH down" (or was) at 30% and has been used extensively in planted tanks and at relatively higher concentrations, perhaps not like a dip.......................but the residual leftovers left in the tank itself should not cause any issues and should help, not harm the plants, since the green spot appears to be related to lower PO4 limitations in planted tanks.

This method might be faster for Anubias clean up than waiting for the GS to go away with improved environmental conditions through better CO2/PO4 additions. Additions of PO4 at higher levels and good CO2 levels will remove Green spot in a  week or two and prevent it from coming back. Both methods involve a plant fertilizer that at low limiting levels, is associated with GS presence.

Regards,
Tom Barr