[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 17, Issue 3

Message: 10
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:14:34 +0800
From: Vincent Phua <vincentphua at pacific_net.sg>
Subject: Re: [APD] Re: planaria toxic to shrimp
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

Over at AquaticQuotient.com, we have a recent thread about planaria. And there are photos of "planaria" attacking adult cherry shrimps. Hard to tell from the photos whether they are planaria, but the description is close.

Link: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=21496&highlight=planaria

The thread also has a few fishes listed that eat them.

I used to get planaria in my planted asian arowana tank. When I introduced 25 tiger barbs given by a friend, the planaria dissappeared overnight.

Hi Vinz,

I've not heard that planaria will attack shrimps, but from the pics seen, it is inconclusive, IMO.

Planaria, like all tubelarians, are limnophilic, so it could be that they are attracted to a dead and decomposing shrimp, I guess. Even in a seemingly healthy tank, an occasional shrimp or fish death may be acceptable.

Cheers,

Kenny