[APD] Re: Neritina natalensis

A few weeks ago, I started a thread here about the algae eating snails, Neritina natalensis, after hearing Oliver Knott of Graben-Neudorf, Germany, recommend them at the APD meeting in Washington. He even gave me the name of a store in Karlsruhe from which I could order some.

I then contacted the U. S. Dept. of Agriculture and the Fish and Wildlife Service to see if I could import them. I was told verbally by representatives of both services that they could find no problems with the species, but that I would have to file an application with the USDA for a permit. So I did that.

I just want to report that my application to import a dozen snails has been denied. It came back, stamped:

"This application for Neritina natalensis is denied. This organism is an exotic organism, that does not occur in the destination state."

Well, yes, that was why I wanted to import them.

John T. Fitch
E-mail: JTFitch at FitchFamily.com
Web: www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html