[APD] APD] 1st Planted Tank questions

Liz,

Go with the "Barr" method!  It is very easy and has great results!

What I understand is you should plant and dose from the very beginning along with the addition of some fish load.  I am currently running a 55G, 110W CF with CO2 and dose the following.  I dose the KNO3, K2SO4 and the KH2PO4 in the dry form.

1/2 tsp KNO3 (Greenlite Stump Remover)
1/2 tsp K2SO4
2 rice grains worth, or around 200mgs of KH2PO4
10 ML SeaChem Flourish
5 ML SeaChem Iron

50-70% water change every 7-10 days.

I dose this at every water change.  Then 2-3 times a week without the K2SO4.  Only at the water change do I add the K2SO4.

You also can mega dose right before the water change day.
You add 2-3x the amount of KNO3 and KH2PO4 24-12 hrs before you do a water change.

The water change removes the excess and the plants get very well fed.

Just make sure your CO2 is 20-30ppm.

You may have to do a little adjusting on the nutrient dosing to compensate for the amount of light you have.  The main thing I have learned from Tom is "Give the plants what they need & don't worry about the algae."  Dose macros and micros and make sure you have CO2!

You can get the ferts at.

http://www.gregwatson.com/categories.asp

Here are some great links.

http://www.sfbaaps.com/

http://www.barrreport.com/

http://www.aquabotanic.com/

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/store.asp

This you might also find useful.

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200411/msg00439.html

Also, listen to what Tom says about getting rid of the algae.  I am not affiliated with or promoting Tom but just wanted you to know that he knows what he's talking about and has been the most helpful to me!

I hope this is helpful to you.
Nick Wilhite