RE: [APD] Re: 1st Planted Tank questions

From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>

Forget about the cycling that one has to do with a
fish-only tank. Cycling is a holdover from the fish-only
days and the whole point of that is to grow bacteria to
deal with the stuff that plants can deal with. Not quite
brave enough to trust the plants?

Thanks. Got the same recommendation off list. I came close to asking this list 3 weeks ago if I really had to cycle the tank. Everywhere else I asked the question I got the "must cycle!" routine. I should have gone with what I knew -- when I was a kid all my fish died until I put a lot of plants in the tank. The plants came from a local pond -- the fish store had only dying plants -- and brought a colony of planaria with them. The tank got about 5 hours of sun a day. It worked fine until puberty when suddenly everythig acted neglected. :-)