[APD] RE: Rejoining the hobby

> From: Ryan Ingram <r_w_ingram at yahoo_com>
> Subject: [APD] Re-Joining hobby  &  CO2-tank Question
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

> Anyway, in preparation for re-joining the hobby, I borrowed a couple
books from a friend at work who also used to be into the hobby. They are
both very large picture books written by Dr. Amano(world reknown aquarist)
Vol 1 & 3. Has anyone checked these out? They seem to be very helpful, not
to mention the beautiful pictures!  Also, I live in Davis, CA(near
Sacramento) --- are there any aquatic plant/fish groups or organizations
remotely nearby? I wouldn't mind driving a hour or so, but I probably
wouldn't go any further than that. Thanks to any and all help & suggestions
--- and keep 'em coming!

> Regards,
>
> Ryan Ingram

Ryan, I would suggest a few things, one, I might end up at the research
aquatic weed center at UC Davis soon, nothing guranteed yet, but I live in
Sac, a couple of other folks do as well. We just had a plant swap open
house with the SFBAAPS group, about 1 hour away from you. Lots of weeds,
lots of folks that have been doing this for many years, there new folks and
old folks in the club.
If you want to do well in the hobby, join that group. I can show you how to
keep Anubias under high light with no green spot algae, or alternatively,
do a non CO2 to a fairly high level, or marine macro algae etc. The club
has many wide ranging talents and resources, if would be wise to take
advantage of them.
There is also SFAS and the local club(not much on plants), SAS. If you are
looking for things, email me off list.

Regards,
Tom Barr