Re: [APD] ADA's Substrate

Nice recap, but where do the benfits of molecular align
arising from the magnetic resonance fit into all of this?

Scott H.
--- Kevin Sheller <kevmo at aplants_com> wrote:

> The Riddle of ADA Amano's substrate.
>
> Alright, in an almost-private conversation with Takashi
> Amano over lunch at
> the Wash DC AGA convention, he talked quite a bit about
> his "Amazonia"
> substrate. There were some interesting points -- I'm sure
> most of which have
> been discussed here. Let me see how my memory serves:
>
> 1. He was very pleased with Amazonia -- he said that he
> didn't have to do
> much water-column fertilization. Just use it and it works
> forever.
>
> 2. When asked "What IS Amazonia?" he responded that it
> was a substrate that
> was cooked to the border of becoming ceramic, but not
> quite.
>
> 3. Of course, he places a layer of Power Sand as the base
> of his substrate,
> covered by Amazonia.
>
> So, doing some research through the APD archives to learn
> more about what
> these things are, and what we have here in the U.S. that
> is similar, I find
> the following information:
>
> AMAZONIA
> Schultz Profile Aquatic Plant Soil *IS* ceramic. So does
> that mean it is one
> of the closest things we have to Amazonia?
>
> Ryan Stover tells us, "...Amazonia contains more iron
> than the other Soils.
> This comes from Do! Aqua vol. 1. This is ADA's more
> product orientated
> publication."
>
> And then does this mean that Amazonia is some sort of
> Flourite + Schultz APS
> combo? Or maybe something like Flourite cooked to be
> almost ceramic??
>
> POWER SAND
> Bob Dixon and Luca discussed what POWER Sand was made of,
> and this is what
> Mr. Dixon had to say:
>
> "It is pumice, peat, and "a nutrieint rich clay",
> according to the official
> ADA propaganda.  I built a substrate based on this info,
> using pumice
> gravel, peat, and a couple different clays.  In the first
> tests I used
> Fluval peat pellets and redart clay.  In the second
> set-up I used regular
> nursery-style sphagnum and pyrophylittic clay.
>
> The pumice is not organic at all, nor is the clay
> component.  The peat
> certainly is, but I cannot say for certain that it is
> breaking down."
>
> WATER
> Of course, the water Amano uses may contain a bunch of
> nutrients as well.
> Who knows? Maybe our substrates would perform just as
> well for Amano-san if
> he used HIS Niigata well water.
>
> What has the collective mind of the APD list learned to
> refute or prove some
> of the things I've researched above?
>
> Kevmo

=====
--- Christel Kassellman is returning to America! ---
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies will feature Christel, author of _Aquarium Plants_, among its speakers at its 30th Annual Convention. It's the longest running consecutive general tropical fish convention in the country and one of the most fun to attend.

March 18-20, 2005
Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT