[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 16, Issue 30

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:47:13 -0600
From: "Bob Crosby" <rtcrosby at charter_net>
Subject: RE: [APD] Alternative Co2 sources
To: "'aquatic plants digest'" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

We had an instance here in Minnesota last year where a guy took a
propane tank into his basement to "work on it" and ended up blowing up
his house, along with himself, his wife and child. Not to overstate the
obvious (although clearly not to the above guy, unfortunately), but
propane tanks and/or any liquefied flammable gas are not appropriate for
indoor use, unless properly vented, with the appropriate fittings, etc.,
and probably in some sort of laboratory or professional setting. Heck,
we don't even keep them in the garage - the extra for the grill goes
right underneath it.

And as you say, the mosquito device you mention is for outdoor use, and
there are certainly other by-products of combustion which could be
potentially nasty/deadly, to say nothing of just unburned LPG.

Bob

In small town Northern Ontario where I grew up something slightly more stupid happened. I was on my way to the location when I heard about it from some of my terrified friends I ran into.

A small basement party was taking place, the middle of the week norm with underage drinking and the like. Possibly more than 30 people down there when this idiot takes down a propane tank, cracks open the valve and lights the thing! The idiot then parades around with it before the owner of the house snaps back into gear, cracks him a couple in the head and throws the tank out into the back yard where it burned itself out.

It basically was a controlled torch, but the valve was never made for that, and the heat... it just wasn't smart at all. It did leave an impression, if that was what he was going for.

Chris.