[APD] Re: RO/DI setup vs. CO2 setup

Why do you say 1-2 ppm the desired level?

Discus Buffer is monosodium phosphate. Depending on how much you added, your phosphate level is now likely measured in the hundreds of ppm, when the desired level is 1-2 ppm.

Just my opinion, but trying to limit P below 1 is counterproductive in my experience. And I'm talking about a start of the week value that will supposedly decline during the week.

And then there is this from master Barr:

http://www.sfbaaps.com/reference/barr_02_02.shtml

"My tanks have the following ranges:
PH: 6.5-7.0
KH: 4.5-5.5
GH: 8-9
***PO4: 1.12ppm average*** (My emphasis)
Temp: 82-75F
Fe: .1ppm to 2ppm depending on the tank
NO3: 4ppm to 30ppm but try to keep it in a range of 5-10ppm
K+: 20-30ppm"

BTW, I disagree on the test kit recommendations to buy the high-priced kits. I think the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kits for pH, Nitrate (NO3) and Phosphate (PO4) are more than adequate for a beginner to get things in the ballpark. I've asked Petsmart to add the AP Phosphate kit to their store line, but it's also available online. At $7 each these kits don't present the barrier to entry that the high-priced kits do. Just IMO, YMMV.

TW