[APD] RE: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 16, Issue 13

#2 You are trying hard, but yes for no#1, you can.
I did.

But I prefer Flourite and onyx over the other stuff.
It's heavy.
It has the internal porosity which seems to be the one main issue that all
good substrates possess(ADA/Flora Base-same maker, EC, MPV
turface/Schlutz's AS, Flourite, Onyx, some CaCO3, Kitty litter+ sand, etc.
If they have a small amount of Mn and Fe, you are set.

Adding the rust is fine, it'll be Fe3+ then deeper in the substrate is can
be reduced to Fe2+ at about 200mv or so which is not a lot of reduction
really.
Add a little mulm and peat to encourage this and the plants and mulm
accreation will take over this role over time..

Regards,
Tom Barr