Re: [APD] Are there any plants that absolutely cannot grow in hardwater?

At 07:58 AM 12/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Richard J. Sexton wrote:
>> See subject line.
>>

>Aldrovanda vesiculosa is not supposed to like hard water.  Utricularia
>spp. are supposed to take a little Ca, but not like really hard water.
>I have only grown Aldrovanda in very soft water (10-30 ppm KH, 0 GH) and
>Utricularia in water with very little Ca.  Next year I may try an
>experiment with giving them more Ca.  As long as all other conditions
>are ideal I expect that both Aldrovanda and Utricularia will be able to
>handle a little more Ca.
>As for typical aquatic plants I have found that those native to soft
>water can grow in the "liquid rock" that come out of my tap.  Although,
>they may well show an initial setback due to the initial change in
>conditions.

I've had Utricularia here over the years.

The only thing I've had an issue with is riccia. Anbody grow that
in very hard water?

To add insult to injury I found some Riccia in the river out back but it
fell apart when the tank went above 68. Must be the, uh, northern variety.

--

  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://new.killi.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://images.aquaria.net