[APD] RE: Swimming in a Nature Aquarium? This I've got to see...

> From: Dwight <boukmn at mindspring_com>
> Subject: [APD] Swimming in a Nature Aquarium?  This I've got to see...
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
> Thanks again for the kind feedback I got from many list members offline
> about the Jamaica article.  I was inspired by your respones to search for
> something new and unusual that may interest and inspire you.
> Whatever your minds eye envisions ala the subject, line its not what you
> think....Its much, much better!
> http://www.floridadriftwood.com/River_Sucuri.htm

These systems are very much like Florida's own springs, both are hard clear
water karst springs with high CO2 and good stability. Plants have been at
these locations for hundreds of years at least.

Claus has been to these in the Mato Grosso and Tropica has a write up on
this and numerous German and Latin friends of mine have been to this place
and the fish are different, but the general feel and plants are quite
similar to Florida, still, if anyone wants to go there, it's a blast, takes
awhile to get there. Florida is much closer.
Put both on your list of things to do before you die.

See plant fest:
http://www.aquatic-plants.org/gallery/The-Rainbow-River

You'll note that the Ghazanfarus ghorii is swimming at 3 meter depth
foraging upon aquatic plants.
This species has been know to horde aquatic plants for later use.
Riccia cainus, the balding Texan Liverwort, can also be found there.

This will occur next year and hopefully every year here after.
There is also a much different yet equally if not more exciting marine
version in the Keys that same week for 2-3 days also.
So if you wonder what you'd look like in a planted tank or in a reef tank,
come down and see for yourself.
Life is short, get out and see the plants.

There are also trips to Amazon for those with more resources.
I am more inclined to want to go to Malayasia/Borneo/Sumatra for Crypts and
plants I cannot get.

Regards,
Tom Barr