[APD] Re: Ca gluconate

>Subject: [APD] Fast growth and Calcium gluconate
>To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

>1) Calcium is hard to move fast enough inside the plant?

Well if the plant is surrounded by Ca++, not really.
Cell walls and lamellae have a fair amount.

>2) I continued searching and found this:
>http://www.nutri-cal.com/qa.htm
>. which suggest Calcium gluconate would be
> easier for the plant to use than CaCl2?
>3) Is this true?

>4) I've seen somewhat nicer growth with Seachem Flourish,
>and I know it uses Ferrous gluconate but does Flourish
>contain Calcium gluconate?
// Daniel

I do not think your plant has a Ca++ issue at this point.
If you want to increase Ca++, well...add more Ca++.
Concentration goes up, so the uptake rates(up to a point then it levels off=> the Vmax of the uptake enzyme)

It could be something other than B and Ca++ also.
You can tell at lower light, the plant does better. So you can change the placement for now, use a different plant etc.

I've not had any issues with this plant in the past. GH's have been 5 to 25.
Lots of traces/macros/CO2 etc.
I think you have all that except for the GH. Add more traces, consider some better substrate material like Flourite etc.

The above references are for terrestrial plants, which have no ionic Ca++ floating around their leaves(from water+ CaCl2 which disassociates into their ions Ca++ and Cl-) and I'm skeptical of the Ca gluconate thing, the "unavailable" bound Ca in the soil could be alos sorts of things, 1000's of lbs, sure, what per acre? Per hectacre? In the pore water or just the dry weight?
They leave that bit of information out.

Regards,
Tom Barr