Re: [APD] RE: Actinics and other things to darken (or lighten) your life

>Also, since HPS lights are very efficient, you'd need a *lot* of actinics
>to balance out the red/yellow of even one 70 watt HPS lamp.
>
>>Anybody else remember back in about 87 or so some guy on usenet
>>was gonna try a mercury vapour lamp and EVRYBODY told him it
>>wouldn't work, no red, wrong specrtum etc?
>>
>>It worked amazingly well for him.
>
>MH's aren't bad bulbs, and they have been used in agriculture before.
>They're biggest problem is that they aren't very efficient. MH lights are
>far more efficient and produce a better (broader) spectrum, even the 4000K
>ones.
>
>BTW, my understanding of the actinic's use in marine setups is that they
>simulate the light spectrum at some 20-30 foot water depth where the corals
>are best adapted to live. Most of the plants are used to shallower waters
>where there is a broader light spectrum due to less water filtering the
>light. That's more of Tom's field though :-)

I have a notion of an idea thart plants grow bigger leaves when they're
planted mroe deeply. It'd be interesting to see a side by side comparison
of actinic and "regular".

I know MH is awful in many ways but damn, it's cheap. And as a source of
just red and blue a cheap HPS and cheap  MH should work very well for very
low cost.

We aleady know each of them work by themselves and together you'd get
pretty close to white light (yellow plus blue = white when you're
adding light)

--

  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://new.killi.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://images.aquaria.net