[APD] Re: How to get rid of BGA

There has been a lot posted on this subject here and elsewhere.

There are two main ways to get rid of the stuff, either chemically or via a
blackout with supplemental feeding.

I've used the antibiotic erythromycin (sold as Mardel) with success in the
early stages of my soil based tanks.  I believe BGA grows then because there
are more nutrients in the water column than the not-yet-growing-much plants
can consume.  The treatment is effective and relatively easy to administer.
The algae does not recur, since, I assume, the cause is corrected when the
plants start growing rapidly.

If BGA occurs in more mature tanks there is a different cause, but I think
it is still probably nutrient related.

Detailed instructions for both general methods are in the archives here and
elsewhere in the web.

Good luck!

Bill