RE: [APD] Not about plants....

Or maybe a few folks might want to lighten up just a tad.... :-o~

-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces+rtcrosby=charter_net at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+rtcrosby=charter_net at actwin.com] On
Behalf Of Andrew McLeod
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 4:46 PM
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: Re: [APD] Not about plants....

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:55:24 -0500, JAMES PURCHASE
<jppurchase at rogers_com>
wrote:

> This may just be a twig in my side, but I also wish that posters use
> standard names for plants. A recent thread referred to Vallisneria as

> "vallis". "Vals" I can see, but "Vallis"??? I've long gotten over the

> fact that many folks can't (or just won't) use scientific names, but I

> don't see the need to coin any more common names for common plants.

What's wrong with Vallis? It's a fairly common common name :) and I
don't
think it's going to be misunderstood; just a simple contraction of
Vallisneria as you say. The world would be a clearer place if the names
we
referred plants to always had that much of a connection to the
scientific
name (i.e. no more 'bamboo fern' or whatever)...

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

This email was scanned carefully before transmission to remove any
content, information or relevance.