Re: [APD] light fixtures for aquariums

In the US, building codes are established locally at the
county or city level, although standards stated by national
standards organizations may be the basis for some codes.
The building codes usually apply only to realty and not
personalty. IF hte hood isn't permanently attached, it's
not a building code item. There might additionally be fire
codes that apply to personalty and those definitely vary
from locale to locale. They are usually a subset of the
building codes though. Fore example, in some places
plstic/resin shower stalls are a violation of the
building/fire code and in other places they are not.

UL is a manufacturer-sponsored organization that gives
approval only to items submitted for approval along with
the appropriate fee. The standards are set, to some degree,
by the manufacturers.

As for wiring, codes go all over the place too.

If a personal item harmed someone that would most likely be
a civil matter and not a criminal one.

Scott H.
--- Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca> wrote:

> The BC Safety inspector happened to see my aquariums
> while visiting at
> my request for other reasons. He noticed my home made
> lights which are
> ballasts mounted directly on wood. The structural
> material for most of
> my reflectors is wood although I often use aluminum
> coated metal as the
> reflector itself. I need the wood to give the reflector
> enough strength
> and to mount the supports to it.
>
> Apparently our hoods and hanging lighting fixtures made
> from wood aren't
> CSA or UL approved. No surprise since they're home made.
> According to
> the inspector, the ballasts and wiring are supposed to be
> entirely
> within a metal case. Wood just won't do.
>
> Since we don't sell our fixtures, what exactly is the
> "law" regarding
> this? Does it differ from province to province and from
> state to state?
> Where are the regulations? How does this affect our home
> insurance
> policies? Do our governments provide these regulations
> anywhere
> convenient such as on a government website?
>
> Steve

=====
The biggest AGA Convention was an outstanding success. Two presentations by Jan Bastmeijer, two by Amano (one of which, Ben Belton found to be a ribtickler). . .Walstad, Senske, Oliver Knott from Germany, Krombholtz. This was the most broadly international convention so far . . . People came from the USA, England, Italy, Poland, Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Mexico . . .and one from even farther away, Oak Point Texas ;-)