Re: [APD] RE: Molecular Alignment Design -- or the M-A-D tank setup

Everything you say is true. Thanks for the tip on RO. I
call it the Glass-panel Coils method, because of the
sizeable condensor coils wrapped around the aquarium.
Technically, it's known as the Isolated Molecular-Alignment
by Compensated Outflow Linear-Energy Dissipation system
(aka, the IM COLD system).

Except for the refrigeration unit, though, it's very low
tech. Low lighting as you point out, no filters, no water
changes, etc.

I'm thinking of building a fish room in room that once
served as a walk-in meat storage locker -- then I won't
need coils on each aquarium. Should yield a great
improvement in viewing access, frost notwithstanding. That
will be the Multi Unit Containerized Heat Organized
Compensated Outflow Linear-Energy Dissipation system (aka,
MUCHO COLD system)

Scott H.
--- Jim Seidman <james at mail1_seidman.net> wrote:

> S. Hieber writes: "Amazing but true. There is some
> evaporation but that is
> solved with topping off. You can use ordinary water for
> this and the
> molecules after a short itme align just like the rest,
> just like, well, like
> Ice Nine."
>
> True, but I'd point out that this is one of the few cases
> in
> aquarium-keeping where the use of RO water is important.
> The aligned water
> molecules, among their other amazing properties, don't
> allow impurities to
> pass through them. So if you keep adding tap water to the
> top, you'll wind
> up with an unpleasant-looking band from the accumulated
> impurities.
>
> Also note that you want relatively low lighting in these
> setups (maybe even
> less than 2 wpg). Otherwise the excess energy from the
> bulbs can cause the
> water at the top of the tank to lose alignment.
>
> And I won't even go into the deeply detrimental effect
> that substrate coils
> have on such a setup...
>
> - Jim

=====
The biggest AGA Convention was an outstanding success. Two presentations by Jan Bastmeijer, two by Amano (one of which, Ben Belton found to be a ribtickler). . .Walstad, Senske, Oliver Knott from Germany, Krombholtz. This was the most broadly international convention so far . . . People came from the USA, England, Italy, Poland, Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Mexico . . .and one from even farther away, Oak Point Texas ;-)