Re: [APD] Iron Revisted - oxidations states,chelators and availability etc.

>compounds generally insoluble?  If this is the case, how would using
>commercial products differ from adding, say rust (!), to the
>water/gravel?

They don't.

I've stuck washers, steel wool and nails under my gravel for about a decade
now. No, they can't use rust, but under anaerobic conditions it's
reduced and usable by the plants. Snails and shrimp are unaffected.

If I pull say, Crypt roos out, they're white for 2-3" then all rusty
brown just like in the Dupla book field pictures.

I've seen roots grow around a washer like they were sucking the
juice out ot it.

--

  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://killifish.vrx.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://www.vrx.net