[APD] RE: scoff scoff

>  Heating coil infidels like Scott and Tom scoff.

Scoff scoff:-:)

> I measured a 5 degrees C differential.  A bit more than "slight", IMHO.

Specifically why does an increase flow rate help plants or provide a
LTS(Long term stability)?
Unless you have too much organic matter down there to begin with, this
seems like it would only hurt plant growth by increasing the redox, thus
making the nutrients in a less available oxidized form.
Providing O2 to the roots/bacteria is perhaps the only thing that could be
argued, but then you lose then reducing power of a low O2 environment.

I've stated in the past that the porous larger grained materials likem
Flourite have both good access to O2 on the outter portions of each grain,
while still having the fine anaerobic sections that are very hard to clog
available for the reduction of trace metals.
This makes the reducing and oxidizing regions much more consistent over the
long term when individual units inside each grain are protected and
isolated from disturbances like pruning/uprooting, root O2, additions of
waste like mulm accreation.
There is also much more surface area that is available to O2 bacteria on
flourite vs sand with cables/laterite.
This allows better breakdown of mulm and waste. Also allows plenty of O2 to
the larger portions of the roots(root hairs can inside the grains and this
is often observed when you prune)

> I've never claimed better plant growth. I claim long term stability. I see
> no difference in plant growth.

Hummm ...kay
What's that mean?
If I qualify something with something that does not help plant growth but
maintains the "long term stabilty", something that is inherently difficult
and subtle to measure, I can say about anything about anything. "It's
subtle and takes a long time to see, you all have to look harder".
I can see better growth with Flourite vs Sand/laterite+ cables.

> >I suggest they can't both be right but they could both be
> >wrong.

> Or they could both be right in different ways.  A warm substrate with no
> currents will still speed up biological processes.

Or both could do that.That would be subtle and long term. Is that better?
Would that mean faster plant growth also at some level?
Long term stability, LTS, what does this mean?
Warm vs hot? Is one better?
Why? Flow rate?
How fast is too fast?
RFUG?
That does the same things claimed by Dupla also.
Too fast to do what Dupla says? Why?

Less algae? More wiggle room on dosing, CO2, lighting?
I'll assume these.

Less algae, I think that's a reflection of NH4 and providing enough
nutrients.
Less light can certainly provide plenty wiggle room.
Over the long term, it's tough to judge your mistakes and we all make
plenty over the course of time.

I still don't have a good understanding at why cables do anything from a
biogeochemical perspective and that is what is going to matter to
plants/algae.
It's going to increase flow in some places, not in others.
RFUG's do the same thing.

I do and did see a notable change with Flourite when I started using it.
I was very skeptical about it and did not like it at first(I do not like
multicolored gravels nor darker gravels, still don't) and paying a lot for
"gravel" seemed sacriligious.
But it certainly won me over and to the point of really supporting it's
usage and further tweaking the set ups with peat and mulm.
I would have never touched it if I did not take care of some well heeled
customers. Same for the Dupla stuff.

I had customers try them and use them cables for a number of years, I
switched them out to Flourite, they are very happy 6 years later. They
would say that flourite provides better color and more stability with No
cables.

Have you tried the flourite yet? :-)
You mentioned last year you might.

> George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)

Tom Scoffing Barr