[APD] Old Ballasts?

I bought AH Supply Bright Kits when I first set up my aquarium in the summer of 2001. I bought all new bulbs in August of '03, and in the past few months 3 out of the 4 have stopped working - they don't come on anymore, and their bases are discolored. The ballasts still work - I saved my old bulbs, and when I plug them in they light right up - but I am wondering if the ballasts have somehow gone bad, or if I just got a bad batch of bulbs? I have been totally happy with AHS, and don't know what is going on.

Thanks,
rs