Re: [APD] Re: Night Growth?

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 06:50:15 +1000, Michi Henning <michi at zeroc_com> wrote:

From: "Tom Wood"

Am I just imagining things, caught in a parallel universe, or living on
top
of a burial mound, when noticing that the plants seem to do a lot of
growing
when the lights are out?

I currently have an Aponogeton Ulvaceous in my tank that is putting up
flower stalks. The stalks grow at a rate of 10 inches per 24 hours. (Yes,
really -- I checked with a tape measure.) I did a check last night and this
morning: over 2 inches of growth during the 12 hour dark period.

Which would raise questions about whether CO2
should be off at night, and whether it's better to dose ferts then.

I don't bother turning off CO2 at night. (But mine is on a pH controller, so I don't have to worry about pH crashes.) I wouldn't think that it makes much of a difference when you add ferts -- the important thing is to make sure that there are always enough ferts.

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning              Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc.                http://www.zeroc.com

Don't plants 'stretch' their cells as part of growth? Does this happen at night?

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

This email was scanned carefully before transmission to remove any content, information or relevance.