[APD] RE: Tank Specs (rob's tank)

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:28:11 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
From: Thomas  Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
Subject: [APD] Re: Tank specs
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

>1. Black Brush Algae & green algae on foreground substrate

CO2 issue.

>2. Comments/suggestions on my co2 setup

See #1.

>3. Improving weak hairgrass growth

See #1
>4. Using my local (ultra-hard) Illinois tap water vs using RO water?

Why is hard water a problem?
99% of all plants do great, super soft water you have to add baking soda and GH to, I'd be happy with hard water.

RO does not help you grow plants, it has nothing in it.
Hard water has more nutrients.
Use RO or carbon for your drinking water etc.

>RJ

Regards,
Tom Barr

I can't help but chime in. While I agree with Tom that CO2 defficencies would appear be the root of the BBA outbreaks and poor hairgrass growth that Rob describes, I don't think that's the case. I went to his page and checked out the section on his CO2 system.

He thinks its inefficent; I disagree. His pH is 7.2, and his KH is 17 degrees. Assuming there are no other buffers in the water, that puts his CO2 at well over 30 mg/l, which should be unsafe for the livestock. (from thekrib.com, "Concentrations above 30 mg/l may cause respiratory problems in your fish.")

So if it's not CO2, what would it be? If it IS CO2, then how can he make his system more efficent, and what is buffering his water to give inaccurate test results? I've never used a powered reactor, would that be a plausible solution? It seems that many of his plants are doing well; the ones that are having troubles are slower-growing plants.

Am I missing something here?

Regards,
Reggie