[APD] Re: Compact Question

I just picked up a few 15 watt compact bulbs for lamp use and noticed that
they said to not use them on timers. That doesn't make any sense to me. Can
anyone tell me why ?

Most likely this is for one of two reasons: Either the bulbs don't like starts (which is likely), or they aren't rated for long-term cycles (like having a timer run the light all night).

Most likely the bulbs have a limited number of starts (actually the ballast is more likely to have limits than the bulb, but I'm assuming you have on of the integrated bulb'n'ballast units). The ballast probably is only expected to handle x number of starts, and the manufacturer assumes that a light on a timer will have more starts than one that is only lit when needed. Although this still seems strange, I think it is the most likely explanation.

The only other possibility I can think of is that the bulb/ballast unit has its own power switch and doesn't like it when it is turned on/off by power cycling as would be the case with a timer. It's possible the inrush current when the ballast is first powered isn't handled well internally. This would be a bad design though, but the kind of thing that would save money for the manufacturer of a cheap unit. A timer is just a gizmo that turns a switch on and off with a clock (essentially), and electrically isn't any different than flipping a switch on and off periodically. As a result, the reason for the light not wanting to be on a timer should be related to what the manufacturer thinks will be different about a timer operating the light rather than a person.

What kind of light assembly did you just pick up?

-Bill

***************************** Waveform Technology UNIX Systems Administrator