Re: [APD] Re: BGA, antibiotics, and cloudy water

Just a rule of thumb (and if Tom advises diff, I defer):

ratio of about 1:10:20 phosphate (KH2PO4), nitrate (KNO3),
postassium (K2SO4), respectively. Levels of about 0.5 - 1.0
ppm for phosphate, and so on. Stay close to the low end for
non-CO2 tanks with moderate; up towards the upper end for
high light (2 wpg and above) plus added CO2. Feed to
maintain the levels, how much depends on the effective
lighting, kinds of plants, amount of CO2, etc. but that
range should get you into a workable zone for your
particular tank.

Good luck, good fun,
Scott H.

--- Benjamin Hong <bkhong at rogers_com> wrote:

> Thanks Scott and Tom for the advice.  At what levels
> should the N/P/K be
> kept at?
>
> I still get caught up in some of the literature which
> generally assumes
> aquariums aren't planted tanks.  hence, "bga? get that
> phosphate out of
> there!"  I have to remember that it is a different game
> with flora.  It's
> the plants that do all the work in the end...just keep
> them happy. Besides,
> I hate antibiotics anyway.
> On a high note, I would say the BGA is gone, as the SAE
> has spent the last
> three days sitting amongst the java moss (where the BGA
> was) eating all the
> algae which had previously been a problem. Before, he
> wouldn't touch it
> since it was mixed in with the BGA.  Now the java moss
> looks like java moss,
> instead of fuzzy, hairy stringy green stuff.
> Thanks,
> B.

=====
Still some time to get the $59 registration rate -- it must increase as of October 28th to $79.

Still some nights available at the 65% discount hotel rate.

The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.
aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org