[APD] Re: Brown Algea Bloom in Tank

How much light do you have on your 70 gal. tank? Brown algea is usually a sign of low light. It is also spreading very quickly on your plants because they are having trouble growing, not enough light usually, and out compeating the algea.

Lief Youngs

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:26:36 -0400
From: "TMCunningham"
Subject: [APD] Brown Alge bloom in tank

Hello,
I wonder if anyone can provide advise on how to deal with a bloom of brown
slimy algae that appeared in my planted 70 Gallon tank this week. I did a
50% water change on Monday, along with removing most of the duck weed that
had overgrown to the point of blocking out most to the overhead light. On
Tuesday night I added 8 young discus and four small blue rams. Then on Wed
the slimy brown algae bloom appeared on almost all plants near the surface
of the tank. I removed most of the remaining duck weed and pruned all of the
effected parts of the other plants and discarded them. I also did another
50% water change on Friday.

That seems to have slowed things down quite a bit, but there is still a
presence of this brown algae.
The Ottos, snails and amino shrimp seem to have no interest in the brown
algae. I have a total of 6 Ottos, six corydoras panda, two clown loaches,
one Bolivian ram, four young blue rams, four young blue diamond discus,
four young red diamond discus, and twelve cardinal tetras. There are also
five amino shrimp and three purple apple snails in the tank as well. The
clown loaches keep common and other snails in the tank under control and the
Ottos snails and shrimp keep the algae under control. But none of the tanks
inhabitants showed any willingness to address the brown algae.

My tank is a 70 gallon long, with 260 watts of Compact fluorescent lighting
on 12 hours daily and CO2 injection at 30 bubble per minute. The water is 82
degrees F, 6.5 ph (electronically controlled) with low carbonate hardness.
The substrate is Eco Complete gravel and a cable heating system is installed
under the gravel.
The fish are fed once daily on live Black Worms, and an assortment of
frozen foods.

Any advise that can be provided that would help me to address the algae
problem would be appreciated. By the way this is my fist time posting to the
list so please excuse me if I did not follow all the correct protocols.

Thank for your assistance,
Tom Cunningham

   http://geocities.com/SouthBeach/Mansion/4739
   Colorado State University Graduate May 2004
       B.S. Bioagricultural Sciences major
        B.S. Agricultural Business major