Re: [APD] Re: Dust algae with skunky smell

I had a terrible outbreak of this a couple years ago. I physically
moved the tank to a new location where it got more sunlight than
before. Without changing anything else this caused a massive outbreak
of BGA and other nasties...

Physical removal works temprarily; the stuff will return. Figuring out
what ferts you are using/not using in correct amounts is the best way
to avoid it. I tried everything I could think of/find on the web
making minor adjustments over the course of a few weeks. Then, I even
tried leaving the lights off for 2 weeks.
After a month of nothing working, I used antibiotics to remove the
stuff. I followed the directions on the box exactly. Within a week it
was dead.

You will need to extract it physically first because the stuff makes a
terrible mess once it starts to die off. (If you try this and have
access to another tank to put your fish into while doing this, do it.
Especially since there are some fish that cannot easily handle the
treatments. At the time all I had in my tank were neons and a betta
and they survived fine. On second thought, if i'd have had access to a
seperate tank I would have broken the first down completely.)

The entire experience is not one I want to repeat. Since this
happened, I have corrected the use of ferts/lighting and I have not
had it come back. I have had small amounts of BGA in my tank ever
since but it stays between the gravel and the front glass and does not
grow out of control. (When I was using an Aqua Clear it also grew on
the edge of the filter return.)

This stuff is one of the most common lifeforms on the planet, so you
will not be able to get rid of it completely unless you correct your
parameters. GAH! I hate this stuff.