[APD] RE: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 14, Issue 11

Erik,

According to an article that was on /. the days of plain-text-no-worries security may be at an end. Along with the viruses that can infect your computer, your palmtop and mobile comes a virus that mimics a plaintext message. Best everyone update their security and get a really robust antivirus program.

>It's not this Scott anyhow. The virus appears to be an old
>type of virus and my scanner gets updated every four hours.
>The header points to someone far more mysterious and hard
>to find than me.
>
>A basic ploy of several viral buggers is to get onto a
>computer, raid the email addresses from the local Outlook
>or other phonebook and put those addresses, one at a time,
>in the "FROM" field when it sends out scads of new viral
>messages. The progeny issues in a pattern of patently false
>paternity. The point of the ploy is to trick the naive
>recipient into thinking the mail is coming from the address
>on the "FROM" line so they will open the mail and thereby
>have their local phonebook become the latest member of the
>spoiled commmunity.
>
>It's a reversal, so to speak, of messages that ask you to
>click on some link in the message that supposedly takes you
>to Ebay or Citibank, Paypal, etc. to safegaurd your
>account. The link *looks* like a legit one but the actual
>html code (and the actual destination) is a far less honest
>place. Instead of picking up a virus, although that might
>happen too, you might end up losing your credit card
>identity or bank account identity, etc.
>
>Newer forms of virus are more insidious than these -- keep
>your computer protection up to date.
>
>So far, no one has figured hout how to build a virus into a
>plain text message with no attachments and that's why APD
>only sends plain text messages and no attachemetns.
>
>Scott H.
>--- Erik Olson <erik at thekrib_com> wrote:

Ed in Japan Fish....More than just sushi