From: aquatic-plants-bounces+rtcrosby=charter_net at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+rtcrosby=charter_net at actwin.com] On
Behalf Of S. Hieber
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 3:11 PM
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: RE: [APD] Re: Your details

It's not this Scott anyhow. The virus appears to be an old
type of virus and my scanner gets updated every four hours.
The header points to someone far more mysterious and hard
to find than me.

A basic ploy of several viral buggers is to get onto a computer, raid
the email addresses from the local Outlook or other phonebook and put
those addresses, one at a time, in the "FROM" field when it sends out
scads of new viral messages. The progeny issues in a pattern of patently
false paternity. The point of the ploy is to trick the naive recipient
into thinking the mail is coming from the address on the "FROM" line so
they will open the mail and thereby have their local phonebook become
the latest member of the spoiled commmunity.

It's a reversal, so to speak, of messages that ask you to
click on some link in the message that supposedly takes you
to Ebay or Citibank, Paypal, etc. to safegaurd your
account. The link *looks* like a legit one but the actual
html code (and the actual destination) is a far less honest place.
Instead of picking up a virus, although that might happen too, you might
end up losing your credit card identity or bank account identity, etc.

Newer forms of virus are more insidious than these -- keep
your computer protection up to date.

So far, no one has figured hout how to build a virus into a plain text
message with no attachments and that's why APD only sends plain text
messages and no attachemetns.

Scott H.
--- Erik Olson <erik at thekrib_com> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Bob Crosby wrote:
>
> > Dude, I think you're sending out a virus. Best check
> your system.
>
> Dude, it's probably NOT Scott. . .

=====
Still some time left to get the 65% discount hotel rate.

The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14. aquatic-gardeners.org &
gwapa.org

Speakers, 3 Focus Groups in two sessions each, plus Field Trip, Banquet,
auctions of equipment and plants from some of the best companies,
gardeners & nurseries in the hobby.